Sunday, April 13, 2008

Almost the end

It's been a busy week. Hopefully, today will be slow, since I'm not going in. Our season is winding down and that's both good and bad. We made enough to get us through the summer, so that's the good. Here comes the heat, that's the bad. Oh the heat. It's not so much the heat as what it does to people. I'm not even sure I can summarize it. It boils their vodka steeped brains. Vodka and heat make people insane...turns them into angry demons. Not good when you're the one trying to turn a profit on vodka.

Enough of that.

I took the day off, so I could come up with a special menu for the weekend. I want and need to do something that will give the snowbirds and seasonals something to remember and tell their friends about. Something they will remember, so they remember us when they come back next season.

I wanted to do an all bug menu, but Sophia said no (my wife and the chef), plus I couldn't find anything. The only insects you can find online are already dried, or canned. No bueno. I want giant dung beetles. If anyone knows where I can get some, drop me a line. Something for next season, i suppose.

I decided on alligator. That should be fun. We have a couple of different options, we're starting with a jambalaya, for those that aren't quite as adventurous. We found a ton of recipes, but we (sophia) decided on pan seared tenderloins. What's the point of drowning it in sauces and creams? Part of the joy of eating something you've never had is being able to compare it to other meats. Deep-fried meat tastes like deep-fried meat. I ordered 150 lbs, so we'll either run out pretty quick or have alligator to play with for a long time.....

I've gotta work on the drink menu. I was thinking absinthe, since I love it and it's regional to the gator....ish. New Orleans and all, but I can't get it in time and I'd have to work around the laws of selling it....too much hassle. I might wait for the gator to arrive, so I can sink my teeth in it. Pun intended.

No comments: