Thursday, March 20, 2008

random acts

This industry requires a constant grooming of the soul. Some use drugs, alcohol, sex, tobacco...the list is endless. I'm in the middle of our busy season. Hordes of tourists, rich retirees, kids on spring break - all trying to cleanse their souls and recharge thier batteries, by draining mine. And I let them. It's easy for me to recharge. I pull out a book, meditate, and smile on my hammock in the endless beauty of the desert mornings. I think to my greater moments. The moments when I was one with myself.

I'll share one with you now.

When I lived in Los Angeles, I was an apartment manager and had copious amounts of free time. I filled this time with various projects; building surfboards, welding cars, writing, etc. I can't remember what made me start my next venture, a moment of clarity maybe...a desire to feel that I was doing something 'right' for a change, for whatever reason, I'm glad I did it.

I decided to wash cars, but not just any cars, the dirtiest ones I could find. I would 'stalk' cars in mall or grocery stores parking lots and wait till their drivers went inside. I would pull in next to them and as fast as I could I would wash their car with sponges, soap, and buckets of water I'd prepared in the trunk of my car. If I was making good time, I'd towel dry them. Sometimes I'd just wax a clean car. When I was finished, I'd leave a business card that said, "your car was washed by random acts of kindness. Have a great day." Sometimes I'd wait to see the owners face, often I'd just leave with a smile on my face.

That is a moment, or moments, that define me. I am a bartender, yes, but that does not define me.

1 comment:

Ali said...

That's fantastic. Random acts of car washing, I love it.